yup, it’s that time. time for me to do my annual / semi-annual blog update. [for MUCH more of the day to day, visit: ROSINDAMU ]
i will confess it makes me sad that this is as often as i can seemingly bring myself to post, because in my dream world brain i would love to post more often, but as reality has it, i’m apparently not that guy.
but i figure it’s the beginning of 2013 and i can do a brief, “here’s what’s going on”
So here’s what’s going on in my world:
- Family: In short things are well and at peace. Kids are doing well in school, reading lots, going to be playing some soccer here in an indoor winter clinic / league. Tommy is an avid reader, sports expert, lego creator and overall smiley, ticklish, enjoyable, go with the flow fella. Louis is our focused, geography oriented, also avid reader who has a tendency to be a little more clear on what he wants and how he’d like to see us get there😉. Great kids both of them! We consistently enjoy them, the things that they create and the fun(ny) things that come out of their mouths. Jayne is doing well also. She is coming off of a stress injury in her foot and is getting back into her skates slowly. Her roller derby team, the Cornfed Derby Dames, is practicing again and gearing up for another season. Her photo business continues to thrive but at a reasonable pace as to not be too overwhelming for her which is great. She’s a great and patient mom to our boys and I’m always thankful for her sacrifice and hands on involvement with them.
- Me: I feel like I am doing as well as ever. I am enjoying my careers, living out some dreams, getting some things done and enjoying my family and friends. I continue to part-time pastor our campus church with my 3 co-pastors, which is generally a lot of fun!! It’s been so good and stabilizing to see God at work over the past 20 years that I’ve been involved here at BSU as both a student, staff person and pastor. I really love what we have going on and what we’re dreaming for the future. I also work as a registered nurse at the local mid-sized hospital working in the Intensive Care Unit. I thoroughly enjoy this work, the hands on nature, the (sometimes) intensity, the complexity, and the people aspect, both with my coworkers (whom I can’t say enough about and whom I love to work with) and with families and patients. It is super encouraging to have found a good niche to work in where I feel useful, fulfilled, competent, and can excel.
- Dreams / Fun: I think it was in this past year that I had some sort of epiphany in which I have become a much less worried person. I’ve probably always had a tendency to be somewhat more on the serious side, at least in my heart. I think this past year, for whatever reason, I’ve had the realization that life is really short, and that a lot of people spend that life worried about a million inconsequential things. We really are here today and gone tomorrow, and as such I want my life to reflect my creator with his Joy, Love for people, Sacrifice, and Enjoyment of what he’s given and where I find myself. I think I’ve freed myself up to dream more, and feel less guilty about it, or less insecure about it. I’ve tried to become less worried about dumb stuff. I’m enjoying relationships more and trying to take myself less seriously. It’s been a really good year and I’m really looking forward to this next one. A couple areas of dreaming/fun…
- Chicken update: Our chickens are doing well and have so far survived the winter (we’ll keep our fingers crossed). This spring we’re probably going to revisit our coop project for chicken coop 2.0. It will be a fixed coop and our chickens will only get to be only occasional free rangers in the whole of our backyard😦 Sad for them, but too much chicken poop for us to handle!! So that will be a good compromise. We’ll rework the coop with some lessons we’ve learned along with some good wisdom gained from others.
- We’ve got a trailer! Yup one of them there RV’s!! Well okay, not a motorhome, but a “vintage travel trailer” that we are going to be working to refinish over the next couple years. It is an Argosy, which was a subsidiary of Airstream (the aluminum polished vintage trailers you’ve seen on the road), but the Argosies are painted. We’re actually pretty excited about this as the polish is a TON of work to keep up on! So we’re gutting now, and hope to have the frame and exterior work done by next fall so the winter and spring can involve interior renovations. We’ll see!!!
- 2013 Goals / Hopes: So I’ve known this for a while, (my family and friends have probably known it longer) but I am generally a dreamer and a starter. I don’t do so good on the finishing end generally. Character flaw? Maybe/Maybe not? Who knows, I’m not too hung up on it anymore. It’s part of me and my make up, I’m not as naturally good at finishing as I am at starting, but I am willing to start, which I guess others have trouble with!! Anyways, 2013 I’m calling the year of Completion. Not like in a Mayan Calendar sense, but a year in which I’m going to try and complete a bunch of stuff that have loose ends around my house primarily. So I’ve got a good list, I’m organized, and I’ve got my wife solidly behind this idea🙂. One project is even done, which you can go over to Jayne’s blog and check out if you’re so inclined. Louis’ birthday present (yes his birthday is in September. see what i mean?) is done and on his wall. Check box one, DONE. So anyways, we’ll see how this finishing thing goes… Pray for me😉 Here’s a pic of his bookshelf…
I think that’s most of what I have to say. I am a thankful man. I have a beautiful family. The best friends a guy could want. We have food in our pantry, clothes on our bodies, and an amazing (though unfinished) home to live in.
Most of all however we have a God who is present to us and is our friend. One of my co-pastors shared in his message yesterday that over Lazarus’ grave was inscribed “friend of Jesus.” I was struck by that and it made me smile. We can be friends of Jesus. Not in some cheesy, weird, sugary way either. It’s amazing and exciting for me to know that Jesus likes me. He wants us to have a friendship and more than that, but that friendship part has things in it that I often think we / I miss when I think about how I relate to God. Child of God, yes sure, but friend has a voluntary willingness to it that includes the part about Jesus actually liking me, right now, where I’m at regardless of how ugly my life might be. And I really dig that. A friend of Jesus, pretty cool.
Let’s go get em in 2013!